I answered the phone last week to a friend shrieking in my ear: "Spike
ate roses!" After calming her down, I learned my friend's terrier,
Spike, had eaten roses. My friend wanted to know what the roses
would do to him? Thankfully, roses will only make his breath
smell better. Spike was fortunate this time. However, the
consumption of some flowers and plants can cause reactions varying from
a mild rash to death.
Below is a list of many common flowers and plants that are toxic to dogs.
Let your cursor hover over an item to see a picture and find out more information.
Because contact with some flowers and plants can cause reactions varying from an itch to death, it is best to teach your dog not to eat plants and flowers. Just as we baby proof our home for a new child, we must also dog proof our home for our four legged children. **Note this is a partial list of the most common plants and flowers. Should your dog eat a plant or flower, call your local poison control office or veterinarian. They can answer any questions and advise in actions needed to counteract poisons.